Monday, June 13, 2011

So, What Now?

As I sit here and watch the disembowling of Vancouver in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals, I come to the realization that all a scintillating sports season is coming to an end.  Ok, with the way things are going in this game I have another two nights to mourn the exit of the "winter" sports season.  Still, should Vancouver not come back to win this game, after Wednesday, what comes next?

See normally we would only be a few weeks out from minicamps and training camp and two-a-days for college football.  And the anticipation would be making our knees shake and our manhood stand at attention.  But we don't really have that right now.  Though it looks like sunny days are on the horizon in terms of the lockout, we are still devoid of any legit NFL news.  If you look on an NFL news website they are reaching farther than Mr. Fantastic to find any interesting material.  The end of June and July do not look promising.

The great thing about May and June are the coinciding playoff runs by two of the major sports leagues in the NBA and the NHL.  Yes, some interest in hockey has waned a little bit since the Capitals broke a million hearts, but playoff hockey is second to none.  And as much as the NBA regular season makes me want to hibernate like a black bear, I do enjoy the playoffs.  Basketball is a great stage for dynamic superstar performances that can just take over a series.  Can we say Dirk Nowitski?  I mean, how great was it that he outdueled LeBron and Wade to take over.  So glad LeBron and Miami have to wait at least another year.  What a deuche.  No less than you deserve.  Big ups to Dallas.  Way to play.  Anyway, I digress.  The NBA finals was gritty, exciting, and worth watching...for once.  That's over.  Hockey will end in two days.  What is out there to replace that playoff excitement?

To all the baseball fans, don't tell me baseball.  Yes, baseball is a great summer outing.  But the season is so damn long, baseball doesn't even matter for another four months.  Plus, yet again, the area teams are not any good.  Nothing is interesting on that front.  Oh yeah, and baseball isn't football.  Keep that in mind.

So what to do?  I guess I will still be reading blogs and websites checking in on local sports and football teams that have nothing to report.  I will awake everyday with my fingers and toes crossed that the lockout is nearing its end.  I guess I will try to keep up on as much recruiting as I possibly can.  That's what I got.  Until then, as much as I hate that Boston is enjoying a pretty phenomenal run as a championship city over the last decade, I will hope the Bruins can string together a few more wins to keep the cup out of Canada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment