Thursday, June 23, 2011

For Buckets Sake

Quite the exciting night.  Packing for Scotland while watching the NBA Draft! Riveting.  But yes, I will be out of commish for the next week as I am overseas visiting the birthplace of golf.  Sweeeeet.  I will have knocked out 2/3 of the UK in last two years.  Holler.

I have to say, it is encouraging watching the Wizards operate in this draft.  Initially, I do not get excited about bringing in foreign players who you may have to wait a year or two to even get onto your squad.  That's simply a bias.  I don't get to watch those players play throughout a season like I do with the college players that are coming out.  But the experts seem to really know these guys and really like this Jan Vesely character out of the Czech Republic.  Watching his highlights sort of made me a believer.  He is a vicious dunker.  It will be nice to see John Wall alley-oop him a few times a game.  But what really endeared me to him after watching him be selected was his money long smooch with his hot, blond girlfriend.  The crowd went wild.  Great TV.  I just hope he makes it over to D.C. for next season.  That would be my main concern. 

I love the pick of Chris Singleton at 18.  He fell right into the Wizards lap and they jumped.  They need defense and he just so happens to be a wide body to fill up the lane.  I think he will be a valuable asset to a growing, immature team. 

I don't really enjoy the Shelvin Mack pick in the second round, though I am familiar with him.  With my fellow Terrapin Jordan Williams sitting there ripe for the picking I would have loved to seem them take the hometown hero.  But I guess they may need a safety net at the guard position in case Nick Young leaves or  just for depth.  After all, they need to score more points than the other team to win games.  Simple concept.  I'm just not sold that Mack is the answer to help contribute to point totals.  But he could prove me wrong.  He's not a bad player.  Overall, I think the Wizards really did help themselves though.  They got skilled players and filled some needs.  That's what its all about.  A couple more drafts with multiple picks and they could really be in good shape.

Alright, so I shall return with a blog in a few weeks after the overseas vacation.  In honor of my trip to Scotland, here are a few things I would like to see happen when I am off the American media grid for a week:

- NFL: Please tell me there's a season.  Get a deal done next week.  What a great welcome home gift that would be.

-Either the Nationals or the Orioles become a totally stable baseball franchise.  The buzz in DC right now is about the Nationals winning games, but when the coach quits there's a problem.  And well, with Angelos at the helm in Baltimore, all you can do is hope.

-I miraculously have a million job offers waiting for me upon my return.

-An epic Wimbledon final.  Actually, I will probably be plugged right into this, but whatever. 

Random note:  Why the hell are they remaking Footloose?  Some movies should be left alone.  MTV should be ashamed.  Julianne Hough is no Lori Singer.  I can tell you that right now.  Let Kevin Bacon's majestic performance stand alone. 

I'll do my best to take a pic in a kilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment