Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Another Dimension

Ok, so the women lost the World Cup final to Japan.  Sort of gave it away.  Or so I'm told.  I was on my way back from an awesome weekend at the lake house (not mine!).  They were heavy favorites and should have won.  Oh well.  I was over it in about 5 minutes.  I would have liked to brag about a victory, but no big deal.  That's the beauty of soccer in America.  No one expects too much.  Even from our Number 1 women's team.  And even if they do expect a lot, nobody is really devestated if they lose.  Anyway, some of the games were exciting and the ratings were big.  Props to women's soccer for actually giving us something to watch in this dorment time of the sports year.

On a totally unrelated note, I would like to discuss the new "in" thing on the big screen:  3-D movies.  Apparently, according to Hollywood, any new movie worth its salt needs to come out in 3-D.  As any avid movie goer has learned, this is to the detriment of the product.  Generally, I enjoy the 3-D effects.  There is an added element of excitement and newness with it.  But with the technology now becoming the norm, how exciting is it?  Avatar was phenomenal in 3-D, and that movie sort of kick-started this new fad.  But now Hollywood is making movies just to use the technology.  I saw a preview the other day for Shark Night or something like that.  One of those awful, gory-style-young-people-dying movies relating to sharks in a lake or some bullshit.  Seriously?  Leave Jaws as the scary shark movie.  There is not a chance in hell that this will be a good movie.  But producers think it will be supercool for audiences to feel like a shark is really attacking them.  I would argue that no one wants to pay $14 for a crappy movie regardless of the special effects.  I don't know, maybe I'm an idiot and don't understand the masses.  But to me its a gross overuse of something that really doesn't add much cinematic value.  I mean really, how many Final Destination movies do you have to make just for super gory 3-D scenes?  Those movies stopped being good 5 movies ago.  Please stop.

So when I see the final Harry Potter movie on Thursday, it will not be in 3-D.  Sigh.  I don't know.  Maybe I'll cave.  I'm the worst victim of Hollywood marketing on earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment