Saturday, January 21, 2012

Is Dexter No Longer Elite?

I have maintained for at least 4 years that Dexter on Showtime is one of the best shows on TV hands down.  There is compelling character development coupled with a serious tug-of-war morally.  The viewer has to reconcile their affection for Dexter as a protagonist and their disdain of his actions as a serial killer.  The plot lines are often complex and gruesome, not to mention suspenseful.  The viewer is almost better served to wait until the season is over to begin watching all the episodes so that you don't have to wait a week to see what happens next. 

That's what I did.  I just recently finished the season On Demand, and I couldn't stop watching.  It's gripping.  I would agree with most sentiments that this season was certainly not the best season, but the religious tie-in to the End of Days was timely considering many think in December 2012 Earth will cease to be.  Then, a few episodes from the end, the show took a vicious left turn and in doing so may have left me skeptical of the show's future success.

In her therapy sessions, Debra is illuminated to the notion that she is, in fact, in love with Dexter rather than simply being his stepsister.  Apparently, she has always sought a Dexter-type in her relationships, and that's why they have never worked out (see: everyone dies or tragic shit happens).  Gimme a break with this.  What, am I watching Clueless?  Is it supposed to be somewhat acceptable since they aren't blood related?  I found her sudden epiphany to be too awkward to even watch.  This is the Dark Passenger of the script.  It's just too weird.  I don't know how often something like that happens to in real life.  I'm sure it happens sometimes.  But holy cow, it made me very uncomfortable.  I started to cover my face during her "self-discovery" scenes.  Their interactions afterwards are...blech.  Gross.

The point here is, Dexter just completed season six, and I'm wondering if now the writers are starting to run out of good ideas.  This happens all the time, but good shows like this keep running because they are super successful.  Most shows probably even go too long.  Weeds went completely off the deep end.  By the end of its run, The X-Files (which is one of my favorites of all time) was so-so at best.   I would say the max number of seasons for a prime time cable or network show is around 8 years, give or take.  Okay, so Dexter is approaching the twilight of its quality broadcasts.  I'm not saying I'm not going to watch it next season.  I'm sure I will tune in.  I am loyal to my faves.  I just ask the writers to be careful.  Don't explore this, or anything like it, too much longer.  It's draining the series' precious life away.

No comments:

Post a Comment